Friday, November 14, 2014
I first started this project about 10 years ago. It got buried in a storage box, too. It's a pattern, still available, from this company.
Everything was done except the decorative elements, quilting and binding.
I used silver conchos on the belt, the necklace has real beads, and the basket's decorative braids have silver beads at the ends.
I free-motion quilted the sky and the sand dunes, outlined quilted the cacti and woman. Did some crosshatch on the lowest cactus, too. The borders are stitched in the ditch.
I didn't want to quilt the skirt or top - I washed the quilt so it'd wrinkle a bit, giving the skirt fabric authentic folds.
All the fabrics used were scraps I had laying around, except the gray borders.
The backing fabric was given to me by a neighbor many years ago.
Used several bobbins of different colored threads for the quilting.
Monday, November 10, 2014
Back when I first started getting serious about learning to quilt, I took a class to learn to make this specific quilt. That was about 20 years ago. The quilt is from a Trudi Hughes quilt book.
Although I finished taking the class, I never finished the quilt because there were several flaws in my sewing, and it made the quilt wonky. It was also supposed to have an additional border to make it twin-size. The additional border was to be made up of 9 patches that matched the center of the hearts (so that's what that extra fabric was for!!).
I had hand-quilted the entire middle when I discovered that it was supposed to have this extra border and that the back was all crooked. Being an inexperienced quilter at the time, I had no idea what to do, so I put it away to finish later.
We then moved a couple times and the quilt ended up in storage. The extra fabric for it ended up in different boxes. At one point, due to mice getting into our stored stuff, several boxes were thrown away due to the nasty mess they made. The extra fabric was part of that garbage. So now I had a dilemma...how to finish the quilt. So I took the easy way out. I put it back in a box and forgot it.
Well, in my current quest to finish everything on my project list...this one came up. I decided to just finish it as is. The entire center is hand-quilted around the hearts, the blocks and the first border. So, bind it, and stitch down the outer borders and call 'er done!
As you can see by the sides, I ate up some of the blue flowered border by folding the wonky back over the front to make the border.
It took me about half an hour to finish this quilt of Damocles that has been hanging over my head for 20 years! LOL
1 quilt - DONE!
Sunday, November 9, 2014
In the past few days, I've mostly been doing clothing repair:
3 pairs of pants hemmed
1 shirt collar remade for better fit
1 pair pants cut into shorts and holes repaired
1 pair of pants repaired hole
I took some old flour sack towels, cut them into 4ths, and made cloth "paper" towels for kitchen use to cut down on the waste of paper towels.
Then I made 2 of these clothespin bags for gifts. The hole is a bit larger than I thought, so I re-worked the pattern I created for future use. I bought the fabric specifically for the project, as well as the child's hangers.
About a yard of binding tape
1/2 spool of thread
Sunday, October 26, 2014
Around age 16, I got into making things with a needle, learning to do embroidery, crewel, bargello, burlap weaving, etc. I couldn't afford to buy kits, so I made do with what I had. I did a lot of embroidery on denim pants, jackets, and muslin squares that were later made into quilts. At one point, I made myself a wall-hanging with the Serenity Prayer.
My sister saw my wall-hanging and mentioned she'd love to have something like that. So here it is - a replica of the one that hangs in my kitchen. I drew it freehand with a #2 pencil, and then embroidered with a straight stitch. It is lined, has binding and a sleeve on the back to hang it from a rod if she chooses.
I also cut made one of her shirts into a short sleeve shirt, and repaired a quilt for her.
About 1/2 yard of muslin
Leftover blue binding from another project
Assorted leftover embroidery floss
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
I finally finished the Christmas quilt I started on June 5, 2014. It is the Disappearing 9 patch block done with scraps of Christmas fabric leftover from other projects.
I bought fabric to finish the back, but still had to piece it after miscalculating the size. :(
I stitched in the ditch around all the blocks and the bindings, and then stitched and X over each block. The binding is folded over from the back.
2 yards of various Christmas scrap fabrics
2 yards of polyester batting (given to me)
2 spools of white thread
Sunday, July 6, 2014
I've been working on Christmas items - I can't mention what they are because they're gifts for someone who reads my blog. However, I have made 8 "things" and intend to make 10 "things" for each person who will receive the "things." for Christmas.
This is leaving me with scraps of fabric that are odd sizes. So I decided to try a little project I found on a blog that was written in Spanish. I didn't translate the blog, but followed the photo tutorial...changing the centimeters to inches, too.
Here is a little pocket tissue holder:
About 4 yards of various fabric remnants for the "things"
160 inches of various remnant trims
2 partial spools of thread
Monday, June 9, 2014
I've been making kitchen things! Gifts for a friend...
Microwave bowl cozies, square patchwork potholders, Prairie point embellished towels, Hexegon potholders, Large hot pad, Dishmat, Potato bag
1 yard of assorted scrap fabrics
1 yard scrap batting
1 spool thread