Sunday, July 29, 2012

My mother-in-law's UFO...

Back in 1992 or so, we returned to the States from overseas, and although I'd taken 2 quilt classes, I really didn't know a lot.  So I joined a quilters group in Pennsylvania.  My mother-in-law, Alma, who lived with us, decided to try her hand at quilting, too.  She joined the group and then took classes.  I didn't take those classes with her, as I had another obligation on the evenings of the class.  The class was to teach a variety of techniques - there are triangles, borders, and applique in some of the blocks.

Alma lost interest in quilting, and never finished the quilt she began. She loved crochet, knitting, and needlepoint much more and created some beautiful pieces, which many of us still have.  She passed away in 2010.

This is what remains of the unfinished quilt.  I'm not sure what the circles were for, but the cream muslin in the upper left corner of the photo has a diamond star and hearts drawn on it, plus the 8 hearts cut out that fit on it.  The block may be part machine pieced (the star) and part appliqued (the hearts).  I'll finish the block that way. 

From the look of the quilt and measurements, it appears that there was to be one row of 3 smaller blocks, one row with the large block and probably large sashings, and then another row of 3 smaller blocks.  This quilt also used incorporated the quilt-as-you-go technique, which I have tried, and do not really do well.  I will remove the blocks from the batting, and create a whole quilt, then finish it that way. Using what's left of the pile of fabric, I will create a couple blocks to finish the quilt. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment