Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Little Project...

Since the foyer wall cabinet was built and installed two years ago, I've needed to create a small cover for the bench seat between the bookcases.  Temporarily, I was simply folding a blanket and putting it on the seat, but it tended to slip and slide. 
 
So, I finally decided last night, when I threw the blanket in the wash, that I really needed to make something. I didn't want a cushion, just something I can toss in the wash when it got dirty.  I also wanted it to be fairly neutral colors.
 
I found these hand-dyed fabrics I bought some 20 years ago for a project I never did...and so, my bench seat cover was born. 
 
 
 
I cut a foundation piece, fliped and stitched the strips, added batting and a back, sewed all around, turned it right side out, and stitched all the way around the edges. I also stitched down the center seam.  I may quilt it later...we'll see. :)
 
 
This is the back - a piece of batik fabric I bought at a yardsale - 2 1/2 yards for $2.00!
 
 
 
Here's a photo of the complete unit, with bench seat in the middle.
 
Stashbusting:
 
Half a yard of various fabrics
Half a yard of scrap batting
Half a yard backing

No comments:

Post a Comment