Thursday, May 8, 2014

Random Scrappy Christmas Tree Skirt

To get back into quilting, I started setting a timer for 1 hour at various times during the day and working at my sewing machine.  It's been a good thing. The other thing I decided was that I had to open one of the drawers and work on whatever was in there until everything in the drawer was finished.  The first drawer I opened had Christmas fabric and scraps from other projects in it.  So today, I made a scrappy tree skirt. This is the pattern I used, with some changes.
 
 
 
 
If you notice in the booklet, the skirt had appliqued stars and binding. I didn't do either of these things. 
 
This is a foundation-pieced pattern. Cut the wedges from muslin or other junk fabric, and then piece the strips onto the foundation wedges. I "birthed" the skirt. After I got the strips on the foundation pieces, I sewed them together, leaving one opening the length of the wedges to be able to wrap it around a tree. I cut another piece of backing fabric the same size, pinned right sides together and raw edges even, started sewing halfway up the open edge wedge, around the center circle, and then all the way around the bottom of the skirt, clipped the corners and curves, turned right side out, ironed the seams and then finished the open edge.  I then quilted stitch-in-the-ditch on each wedge edge. Technically, the skirt can be reversible, because the back is one solid piece of red fabric with gold stars on it.  
 
 
 
Stashbusting:
 
3 1/2 yards of various fabrics
3 partially filled bobbins of various colors
1 half spool of white thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment